Are You Flossing As You Should?
Your dentist may have asked you this question several times in the past: are you flossing your teeth? An even better question is “are you flossing the right way to ensure a clean and healthy mouth?” Learn the best flossing techniques and make it a point to have your teeth cleaned professionally at Higgs Family & Cosmetic Dentistry in Conway, soon.
As beneficial as flossing may be, many people simply don’t do it—at least not daily. The American Dental Association estimates that only 50 percent of Americans floss their teeth every day and about 18 percent of people don’t floss at all. Flossing your teeth properly and regularly offers the following benefits:
- Reduced risk of gum disease and periodontitis
- Lessened appearance of unattractive yellow plaque around the gumline
- Fresher, better smelling breath (because odor causing bacteria is controlled)
- A generally healthier and whiter smile
The Right Way to Floss
Some patients floss, but don’t do it as they should. Consider this advice for flossing the right way:
- Use a lengthy piece of floss so that you can fully cover the entire mouth
- Move the floss from the base of the gumline upwards to remove food and plaque
- Gently wrap the floss around the front and back tooth surfaces as well as the sides to ensure that you get everything clean.
- Avoid using the same part of the floss on different quadrants of the mouth (to avoid the potential transfer of bad bacteria from one place to another)
Signs You’re Doing a Good Job
When you’re flossing regularly and correctly, both you and your Conway dentist can tell. Here are a few signs that your flossing technique is working:
- Your teeth feel clean and smooth when you run your tongue over them
- Your breath starts to smell fresher
- No calculus or hard tartar needs to be removed for your next dental cleaning
Time for a Cleaning?
The best way to initiate a proper flossing habit is to first have your teeth professionally cleaned by one of our experienced and caring hygienists (Kim and Amy) at Higgs Family & Cosmetic Dentistry in Conway. Once they’re plaque and tartar free, floss daily to ensure they stay that way. Call (501) 329-7474 to schedule a checkup.